Without volunteers there is no Kiwiburn! Thank you to those who give their time and energy to making Kiwiburn happen for all of us. As well as seeing people enjoy the festival you helped create, you will work with an amazing group of people in our community from all over New Zealand; learn a wide range of skills which you can apply to life in the default world; and gain insight and experience volunteering on a unique (non-commercial) festival, working alongside our long-standing volunteers.
We are aways interested in Kiwiburners willing to take on one-off type project-based tasks eg surveys, research etc. The Finance Team is looking for 2-3 people with bookkeeping and/or accounting experience to help out with year-round finance tasks, and the Admin Team will be seeking a new insurance coordinator very soon. And if you’re interested in joining the ExCom, we are particularly keen on enthusiasm, availability, level-headedness, and people with policy and process related skills.
WE NEED YOU! With volunteers stepping down post-event from key roles, there are a few amazing opportunities! The following year-round positions are open. Apply using the form below. Full role descriptions are under the form:
Finance Manager / Treasurer
Reports to: Executive Committee (ExCom)
Job purpose: To work with the ExCom, Finance Team, and Team Leads (Managers) to ensure the sound financial governance and administration of Kiwiburn Inc.
- Final responsibility for signing off annual accounts. Ensure accounts are filed with the Societies Office
- Final responsibility for signing off the Finance Team section of the annual Afterburn Report
- ExCom member; responsible for the sound financial governance of the organisation
- Manage bank accounts and monitor cash flow.
- Coordinate recruitment and retention of Finance Team members
- Develop policy and procedure and review these as conditions change
- Manage team workload and division of labour within the Finance Team.
- Collect feedback and requests for changes to the previous year’s budget (via the annual Kiwiburn Summit, Afterburn Report and from Team Leads)
- Review the previous year’s budget and facilitate ExCom discussion of priorities (including ticket pricing and population cap)
- Propose annual budget for ExCom approval and review leading up to the event
- Check cash-flow pre-event to ensure pre-festival expenses can be paid on time
- Support Team Leads to ensure they are aware of their budgets, know how to access funds as well as request budget changes where necessary.
Payments and Bookkeeping
Work with Finance Team members to:
- Ensure payments are made on time for expenses, Art Grants, and tax
- Process invoices and receipts through accounting software (Receipt Bank and Xero)
- Ensure end-of-year processes are completed in Xero and reports are published.
- Finance Team Members
- Team Leads / Managers
- Ticketing Vendor (or appropriate Liaison)
- Other Vendors (via Vendor Liaison)
- Year round – approx. 5 hours per week
- Occasional bursts of up to 15 hours per week.
Reports to: Admin Lead, ExCom, Volunteer Engagement Lead
Job Purpose: To coordinate teams of volunteers to fill roles within the Kiwiburn organisation, both for year round organisational/management roles and for on-site shifts during the event.
- Work with Team Leads to identify volunteer needs and develop/maintain job descriptions for key roles
- Provide details of open roles to Media/IT teams for recruiting purposes
- Monitor volunteer email address and respond to volunteer applications in a timely manner
- Work with volunteers to achieve suitable placement and ensure key information is communicated
- Screen volunteers for key roles and present shortlists of likely candidates to Team Leads/ExCom as relevant
- Create and maintain volunteer database including contact information
- Monitor and manage Crew Training budget
- Reliable internet access and responsive to emails within 1-3 days
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excel/Word or equivalent skills
- Able to identify skills/knowledge/interests and match with role requirements
- Understanding of Kiwiburn organisational structure and volunteer needs a bonus
- September–January: 5-8 hours per week
- During event: no work required
- Post event–September: 1-5 hours per week